Saturday, May 14, 2011

.*.Dance.*.

Five, six, seven-eight.  I draw in a breath.  Starts with a breath, ends with a breath.  The lights are all off.  The gentle, yet powerful music begins to play.  I lift my leg and step forward to the subtle beats of the song.  I pay attention to the slightest movements of my shoulders and chest as I focus my strength on my legs.  I leap and spin across the wood floors of the dance studio.  I keep my eyes forward so as not to lose my balance as I spin from one leg to another.  Turn, turn.  Another breath, leap.  Put my weight on my right leg, kick up my left, point my toes.  Lengthen my arms, extend my fingers.  Close my eyes.  I spin and spin.  I'm in another world now.  I can't hear the music anymore.  I can only hear my breathing, barely controlled as I gain momentum, gliding across the floor.  My heart pounds, my pulse in my ears.  Muscles tighten and release with every movement.  Feel the strength.  Don't forget to breathe.  Roll my shoulders back, toes curled in.  Straighten my legs.  Step, step.  The air glides over my skin in quick currents as I move.  Keep my balance, focus.  No room for mistakes.  Right, left.  Lift, land.  Spin again.  Slow down.  Right leg out, gently, then crossed.  Extend my arms, spread my fingers, close my eyes into the final pose.  The music, now only forgotten noise in the background, tinkles to an end.  I stand unmoving in the final pose for several more seconds as I am surrounded by a growing silence.  I hear my pulse slow down.  I feel my muscles relax.  I catch my breath and stare at my reflection.  After a few more seconds, I release.  My arms fall slowly to my sides.  My legs uncross.  I stand in the silence.  I feel strong, empowered by the dance.  Right before I quietly exit the room, I take one last deep breath.  Starts with a breath, ends with a breath.

:¨·.·¨:
  `· B E C C A

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...
    Becca.
    I don't know why, but I think this is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Although I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as it's being written by such a beautiful lady.
    How did I get you as one of my best friends, again?
    You're amazing, love. <3
    I love you, I love you, I love you!


    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Ashley... thanks dear. I don't know why I wrote that post, or what I was trying to say... but thanks for taking the time to read it and comment on it. YOU'RE so amazing, and I love having a best friend like you. :)

    Thank you manda, I'm glad. :)

    ReplyDelete